Jul 7, 2023

Change Your Day With a Positive Word

This post originally appeared in Scribbles in 2011. It has since been edited. 

Sitting at the dining room table enjoying my extra-large cup o’ joe ... I began to think about the day ahead. I was a bit apprehensive this particular morning, as I knew that when I got to work, I would be manning the store all by myself. 

The thought of this brought back bad memories of when I worked elsewhere, often by myself, and just how frantic and frustrated that made me.

A bit panicked at the thought of what may lie ahead of me, I came up with a word to remember throughout the day…Perception”. If I perceived things were going to be a train wreck, I’d ruin the entire day. Instead I kept thinking of my word and guess what? The day went by smoothly.

Soon, the idea of coming up with a word or phrase each day became something I did every morning while the caffeine kicked in.

When I was feeling sorry for myself about what I didn’t have in my life in comparison to others, my word of the day was “Appreciation”.

When I had a funeral to attend one day, my word was “Reflection”.

When I had a long list of things on my ‘to do’ list, that day’s word was “Serenity”.

... For me, my daily word has often helped keep me calmer and happier.

It’s not a perfect system... One day my wise word was “Relax”, but when things turned ugly, “Relax” was replaced with a major four-letter word for the remainder of the day. As a result, I was physically and mentally drained by the time night rolled in.

The next morning I looked back at what I could have done differently to have made yesterday less stressful. 

My word to you is “Try”. Try coming up with your own word of the day. If your mornings are busy and hectic getting the kids ready for school, etc, pick your word on the ride in to work or after the kids have left for the day.

Perhaps bedtime is a better time for you to come up with a word for tomorrow.

Wherever and whenever, there’s never a bad time to take a few moments and come up with an appropriate word to live by each day. 

   DON'T MISS A THING. IF YOU SEE THE WORD HOME BELOW THIS POST CLICK ON IT TO SEE ALL SCRIBBLES CURRENT POSTS