Jun 4, 2023
Mr. Sock Has Many Admirers
Jun 1, 2023
scribbles VIDEO | Adventures of Mr. Sock | Debut Episode
Mr. Sock's been on the go as we discover in our debut episode of 'Adventures of Mr. Sock'.
May 26, 2023
May 25, 2023
May 24, 2023
It’s been a while since Scribbles offered up a multitude of new posts at the same time. This year there’s been several Mr. Sock videos, some moving tribute posts and series 4 of Battle of the Best, but we haven’t brought you several new things at once for a while, so this is pretty exciting.
Our ‘what’s NEW with YOU’ section makes a feeble attempt at showing you what everyone has been up to. Of course it barely scratches the surface, but we DO still have plenty to share.
Scribbles Rainbow Connection Contest asks you to tell us your favourite colour, for a chance of winning a collection of awesome rainbow bling.
WOOF! Joe Friday is back with both new adventures as well as a collection of Classic Joe’s. With such a large archive of Joe material, Scribbles gratefully continues to feature Jim’s bulldog buddy for your amusement.
Mr. Sock has made appearances in several locations and has young fans watching him from the Ottawa Valley & Niagara to British Columbia and likely beyond. We have exclusive pix sent in by Scribbles pals Carrie, Gloria and Jackie. I love that you guys like Mr. Sock, I enjoy hangin’ out with him and sharing that silliness with you. Great News! We have a new video coming soon…so Mr. Sock could soon be returning to a big screen TV near you!
I am finally getting a grip on being a bit hard on myself when it comes to new Scribbles stuff. I had hoped to have much of what you will see today published already. I get down on myself when my physical or mental pains prevent me from creating Scribbles at the pace I want. When I CAN do stuff and the creative juices are flowing, THAT’S when it is meant to be done. Not on some preconceived deadline only I know about. It’s always more fun when I’m feeling well.
I have been able to put together some entertaining posts that I hope many of you in Scribbles land will enjoy.
DON'T MISS A THING. IF YOU SEE THE WORD HOME BELOW THIS SENTENCE CLICK ON IT TO SEE ALL SCRIBBLES CURRENT POSTS
what's NEW with YOU
scribbles REVIEW | DCT Production Offers Tons of Hope
Dunnville Community Theatre returned to the spotlight in mid May with David S. Craig’s ‘Having Hope at Home’. This time around, DCT’s live production took place at Knox Presbyterian Church, transformed into an old rundown farm house, thanks to cleverly arranged theatre props.
From the moment the show began to the instant it finished, the talented performers grabbed the audience’s attention, as they brought life to their colourful characters.
We had Carolyn (as portrayed by Dana Hauser) who lives in the farmhouse with her French Canadian partner Michel (Gordon Huffman) and her bumbling grandfather Russell (Lee Smith). Carolyn & Michel are expecting their first child and have invited Carolyn’s parents Bill (Darrell Baker) and Jane (Ellie Bloomfield) to join them for dinner. The catch is that Carolyn has decided upon a home birth using a midwife, Dawn (Hailey Gibb), a revelation that rubs her father the wrong way, seeing he is a doctor and the head of obstetrics at the local hospital.
The plot thickens as Carolyn goes into labour midway through dinner. What follows is a mixture of humour and high drama, with some valuable lessons learned by the time of the baby’s arrival.
Compliments of the production’s director Jean Furlong and DCT treasurer & promotions officer Claire Vanden Pol, I attended the show with my sister Kim on May 13th. My concerns that the production was being held in a church meant we may have rigid, uncomfortable seating that would wreak havoc with my chronic pain, were quickly alleviated when I discovered the pews were completely padded… Hallelujah!
During intermission, I spoke briefly with Claire, who shared with me that they had to do some last minute blocking changes, as the church’s stage was smaller than what the rehearsal area had been. This meant that some scenes in which a few characters are supposed to be in another room, out of earshot of the others, actually took place only a few feet away. When this occurred, the actors that weren’t a part of the scene simply stood silently, somewhat like statues, and we effortlessly bought into the fact that they weren’t supposed to be seeing or hearing what we were.
This is something I always find extremely endearing about Dunnville Community Theatre. They turn minimal props into larger than life sets. Combined with the group’s mad acting skills and you have productions that move and entertain unlike any others. ‘Having Hope at Home’ was another shining example of that. Hallelujah indeed!
new JOE FRIDAY |
COMICS | mini mix
May 14, 2023
SCRIBBLES VIDEO | Make Your Own Pencil Crayon Organizer
Amazing Uses for Cucumbers
1. Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day, just one cucumber contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc.
2. Feeling tired in the afternoon, put down the caffeinated soda and pick up a cucumber. Cucumbers are a good source of B Vitamins and Carbohydrates that can provide that quick pick-me-up that can last for hours.
3. Tired of your bathroom mirror fogging up after a shower? Try rubbing a cucumber slice along the mirror, it will eliminate the fog and provide a soothing, spa-like fragrance.
4. Are grubs and slugs ruining your planting beds? Place a few slices in a small pie tin and your garden will be free of pests all season long. The chemicals in the cucumber react with the aluminum to give off a scent undetectable to humans but drive garden pests crazy and make them flee the area.
5. Looking for a fast and easy way to remove cellulite before going out or to the pool? Try rubbing a slice or two of cucumbers along your problem area for a few minutes, the phytochemicals in the cucumber cause the collagen in your skin to tighten, firming up the outer layer and reducing the visibility of cellulite. Works great on wrinkles too!!!
6. Want to avoid a hangover or terrible headache? Eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed and wake up refreshed and headache free. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients the body lost, keeping everything in equilibrium, avoiding both a hangover and headache!!
7. Looking to fight off that afternoon or evening snacking binge? Cucumbers have been used for centuries and often used by European trappers, traders and explores for quick meals to thwart off starvation.
8. Have an important meeting or job interview and you realize that you don't have enough time to polish your shoes? Rub a freshly cut cucumber over the shoe, its chemicals will provide a quick and durable shine that not only looks great but also repels water.
9. Out of WD 40 and need to fix a squeaky hinge? Take a cucumber slice and rub it along the problematic hinge, and voila, the squeak is gone!
10. Stressed out and don't have time for massage, facial or visit to the spa? Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water, the chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber with react with the boiling water and be released in the steam, creating a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown the reduce stress in new mothers and college students during final exams.
11. Just finish a business lunch and realize you don't have gum or mints? Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds to eliminate bad breath, the phytochemcials will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.
12. Looking for a 'green' way to clean your faucets, sinks or stainless steel? Take a slice of cucumber and rub it on the surface you want to clean, not only will it remove years of tarnish and bring back the shine, but is won't leave streaks and won't harm you fingers or fingernails while you clean.
13. Using a pen and made a mistake? Take the outside of the cucumber and slowly use it to erase the pen writing, also works great on crayons and markers that the kids have used to decorate the walls!!
INSIGHTFUL WORDS - Living With Chronic Pain
May 13, 2023
SIDE HUSTLE... Scribbles Sidebar Section Get a NEW LOOK!
We have updated our sidebar section, with changes designed to make it easier for you to use.
Our EVENTS section is now listed by date and our TV section is listed by day. Each feature red sub tabs for ease of use.
We have brought back YOUR BUSINESS section. It is divided into sub categories, such as food, pets, shops & services. We would love to feature your business or service....a FREE feature for SCRIBBLES PALS ONLY
We kick off our NEW LOOK sidebar with a NEW FEATURE... SCRIBBLES ARCHIVES. You can travel back over to the past 13-14 years with all our past posts. It can be a lot of fun to pick a year and see what we were doing..... and see how little some of our younger Scribbles friends were. It's a delightful rabbit hole that we hope you visit often.
...and one more thing...
And before we end this post.... We are lovin' your kind words about Mr. Sock. He has a lot of fans of all ages and it fills me with much joy to know you get a kick out of Mr. Sock's misadventures.
Because I've been working a lot on videos - most with Mr. Sock, it takes time away from creating Scribbles What's New With You & Joe Friday sections. We hope to get those features to you soon, but we cannot lock in specific dates at this time.
May 10, 2023
SCRIBBLES VIDEO | The Dandelion Song 2023
When our pal Doug emailed me suggesting I join him for a few days at his trailer at N.E.T. Camp Resort in Pelham, it took me about 2 seconds to send my reply. "Yes!" I exclaimed with much enthusiasm.
As you may recall, the campground is one of my favourite places to sit back and relax. And this time of year it is also the location of millions of dandelions - something I discovered in 2016 when filming our ambitious yet forgettable electro funk version of the Dandelion Song.
I decided this time around, Mr. Sock should get a chance to see for himself all the dandelions at N.E.T. so he joined us at the campground. To see his reaction and listen to our latest incarnation of The Dandelion Song, click on the video below...
SCRIBBLES VIDEO | Happy Birthday Francesca
May 9, 2023
To see your Fortune Cookie, go to the month you were born.
A loved one makes a decision you may not agree with, take time considering things from their perspective. June is going to be a wild month of activities. Lucky Numbers: 03, 12, 42, 64, 08, 68.
You’ll discover a peaceful change of scenery can happen a lot closer to home than you knew. An invitation to a unique event shouldn’t be ignored. Lucky Numbers: 02, 09, 67, 04, 14, 22.
An old schoolmate or former co-worker will be in touch with you. You’ll be eager to spend time outdoors but don’t forget your sunscreen. Lucky Numbers: 03, 08, 15, 23, 45, 61.
Travel plans will need to be changed, but all is not lost. The rescheduled travel dates will turn out to be better for you in surprising ways. You will misplace a frequently used item, only to discover you put it in your pocket. Lucky Numbers: 04, 10, 24, 27, 37, 62.
Your May birthday brings you lots of happiness. A visitor brings unexpected news. Don’t worry, it’s happy news. You will have fun at a swimming pool. Lucky Numbers: 07, 17, 21, 27, 45, 60.
Your green thumb will come in handy when a neighbour needs a helping hand. Share your talents with others and great joy will follow. Lucky Numbers: 09, 18, 25, 40. 11, 55.
While out for an early evening stroll, you will see a UFO and will then struggle with whether or not you should tell others what you saw. Lucky Numbers: 02, 10, 22, 37, 56, 68.
Road trips are your favourite summer activity this year, but beware of an offer that sounds too good to be true when it comes to an unusual campground. Lucky Numbers: 04, 11, 43, 26, 54, 66.
Your vacation will end up being a “staycation”. Never fear, you will discover something during your staycation that will make it worth while and would not have happened if your original vacation had of gone as initially planned. Lucky Numbers: 07, 36, 64, 43, 29, 19.
A new outdoor activity could become time consuming and cause friction with others. But monitoring the new activity will turn things around and give you the perfect balance. Lucky Numbers: 09, 55, 33, 41, 47.
You are so eager to see sunshine and bright blue skies that you start to give thought to moving to a tropical location. Hang tight. Warmer weather and sunny skies will soon be arriving in your own location very soon. Lucky Numbers: 14, 26, 12, 06, 71, 22.
Before you pour your love into someone else, fill yourself up first
DON'T MISS A THING. IF YOU SEE THE WORD HOME BELOW THIS, CLICK ON IT TO SEE ALL SCRIBBLES CURRENT POSTS.
COMICS | [13+]
We know the old saying is true....Laughter IS the best medicine.