Aug 17, 2014

EDITORIAL | Blurred Lines


MATURE SUBJECT MATTER: NOT RECOMMENDED FOR YOUNGER OR SENSITIVE READERS

Robin William’s sudden departure stunned the world. Legions of fans, his family, celebrities, friends, strangers whose lives he had somehow touched....all felt an immense over-powering loss, while asking themselves; “Why?”

Why would someone with fame, fortune and notoriety take their own life? Surely someone of William’s stature could afford the finest help in the world, why wouldn’t he have sought out that help? Did he lose sight of all the people who loved him and treasured his comedic genius?

The truth is, we will never really know with all certainty what was running through Williams head. Superficial wounds on his wrists suggest hanging himself was not his first attempt at taking his life that agonizing night. All while his wife was sleeping, oblivious to what was going on only a few rooms away.

He leaves us with a legacy of memorable performances, both on screen and off, as we remember the man who made us laugh and now makes us cry.

Williams death hits very close to home for me. A very bitter pill to swallow.

In my past, I have attempted suicide. An overdose of drugs and alcohol was my method of choice. 

In my irrational stupor, I entered the home of a nearby friend. No one was home except the family dog, so I sat in a chair petting him, uncontrollably bawling my eyes out one second and laughing hysterically the next.

My friend arrived home, extremely shocked to find me sitting in her living room on a drug-induced, manic depressive roller coaster ride. She called the girl next door who came right away.

I would soon find myself at the hospital E.R. where they removed the contents of my stomach. This would be followed by several weeks in the psychiatric ward, where I learned there were other options when it came to facing my problems.

In 1990, my estranged father, whose life story could act as the definition of mental illness, committed suicide. We were not close (the results of an abusive childhood) but at his funeral I got to witness firsthand how taking your life affects those who love you.

I told myself this was the lesson I was to take away from this surreal situation, something I would remind myself over the years, whenever things seemed unbearable.

With medication, therapy and plenty of counseling, I have learned to accept myself for who I am. It is a continuous work in progress, which has rarely been a walk in the park.

Even as recently as this past Spring, I found myself “going there”. Back to that oh-so-familiar dark, dank, depressing place, where hope and logic dare not enter.  Where the demons within me turned the volume to max with their macabre allure of a permanent solution to the mental and physical pain I once again felt.

It is at that desperate time and in that horrible place, when divine intervention has always somehow stepped in. Sometimes charging in like a hurricane, other times merely a whisper, but always there, just in the nick of time.

When the storm has once again passed and the sun pokes through the dark clouds, I usually find myself feeling a rejuvenated sense of appreciation for the good things in my life and the fact that I am still around to enjoy them.

When I first heard that Robin Williams had taken his life, I doubled over in shock. I was not alone. People around the world shared my disbelief while collectively asking “how could he do this?”

The reality is clinical depression is a disease which knows no boundaries. It doesn’t discriminate. It doesn’t care if you’re rich and famous or penniless and a virtual unknown. 

PHOTO COURTESY www.deviantart.com
Robin Williams used humour to mask his pain and distract his demons. But beneath that beaming, bright, contagious smile was a troubled soul. Someone who fought with their own demons, over and over and over again.

Where was divine intervention on that fateful night when Williams ended his life? Was it just outside the closed door?  Was it whispering when it should have been screaming?  Was it even there at all?  These are questions we will never have the answers to.

For only Robin Williams knows what was truly going on inside that room and within himself. Was he weak?  Did he not know how much he was loved and would be missed? I believe he indeed knew we cared, he knew he was gifted and he was far from being weak. 

When I have been at the depths of despair, I have envisioned what the outcome of killing myself may be. It’s never, EVER been a matter of not knowing or caring how taking my own life would hurt so many others. It’s always been about making this all-consuming torture and agony stop. Just stop, please for the love of god, just fucking make it stop!

In life, Robin Williams made us look at the world around us differently. In death he does the same.  It is my hope that his shocking death will not end up as merely a discouraging footnote, when in the future we recall the life of this amusing, caring, one-of-a-kind individual.

I hope mental illness remains in the forefront and those of us living with it can find the courage to remove our masks, thus allowing the world to see us and this insidious disease called clinical depression in a more realistic light.

From an act of great pain, sorrow and confusion, let the seeds of hope grow again.

Rest in peace Mr. Williams. Nanu, nanu.




No comments: