Aug 17, 2014

IN MEMORIAM | Bart


Big, beautiful Bart, who passed away on Aug. 15th, was originally my sister's boyfriend's cat, before the couple moved to a new place together.

Bart became one of 3 cats the family would grow to include over the years, and he made it very clear, he was the alpha male of the group (and we're not talking about just amongst the other felines...LOL)

With his long black fur, Bart often looked to be very large and ominous, but whenever he was given a lion haircut, it was clear that under all that fur, he wasn't quite as tough as he would like you to believe.

Maybe it's because I'm soft spoken. Perhaps it's because at 5'4", I don't come across as much of a threat. Whatever it is, most cats seem to like me.  Bart was no exception.

When I lived in the same apartment building as my sister, I often babysat the cats. Bart needed insulin for a while, to treat his diabetes. So whenever Bart heard the door open and looked up to see it was me, he knew what was coming next...his needle. While he could have tried to hide, run away or give me attitude, Bart was a good boy, letting me do what I had to so we could then enjoy some quality time together.


Through a change in diet, in the past few years, Bart no longer needed insulin, which was great news for everyone involved. 

Although Bart was a cat I'd consider to be pretty laid back, that didn't quite apply whenever Timmi was around. Bart did not like Timmi. Not at all. Sometimes he would even charge at Timmi from a hidden position under a coffee table or chair.

Bart's cat siblings are Toonces and Pussyfoot. Like their big brother, both Toonces and Pussyfoot also have their own unique personalities.

Pets are a lot like people or snowflakes...each being unique in their own way. Some shine or stand out just a bit more than others and to me, Bart will always be a pussycat I remember as being very special.

My sympathy to you Jane, Ken, Graham, Toonces and Pussyfoot.


[EDITOR'S NOTE:  Despite their differences, Timmi has asked me to also send his condolences. JJ does as well]



No comments: