Jul 5, 2017

YOU | Touching Lives

Justin Preston from 'Rise Against Bullying' walked in this year's Toronto Pride parade with the group from 'Kids Help Phone'. Here is a comment he posted on Facebook about social media and his Pride experience.

"There's a lot of negativity about social media and the use of it. I wanted to share a little story on why social media can be so important to people like you or myself. Instead of posting anything negative in my life, I always turn it around into something positive hoping that maybe one person will smile with my postings, videos etc.

I had a blast during the Pride Toronto parade with Kids Help Phone and before I met up with the team, I decided to walk to Church street, as being from a small town, I have no idea how I found my way there and back to the Kids Help Phone's headquarters.

As I was walking down this street, every few steps, I was meeting and seeing you beautiful people who follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Listening and hearing the stories of how I have impacted some of you was truly inspiring and a great reminder on why using social media for a positive reason can touch the lives of so many without even knowing.

During the parade, I was seeing so many faces I knew and faces I didn't but seeing the excitement of others who knew me truly opened my eyes a little more. I cherish all of you, and appreciate all of you.

With hugging, waving, giving as many people high-fives while carrying my 50 pound purse, I was in a moment of pride and why celebrating pride was so important as seeing so many people coming together to either support or watch such a positive parade.

PHOTOS COURTESY JUSTIN PRESTON'S FACEBOOK PAGE
While I was taking selfies, I realized my graduation ring was [not on] my finger. [Engraved with Lady Gaga's logo] I had lost this ring once before and posted a video on You Tube sharing my story. Somebody [from New York who had visited a beach near my home, found the ring] and returned it on March 28, 2012, Lady Gaga's birthday.

The thought of ever losing this ring again was something I could never imagine happening again. 200 of you decided [my post about losing the ring] was worth sharing. Somebody saw this post and messaged me.

This ring is coming back to me and it gives me so much faith knowing there's good people in this world. 

Social media can make a huge difference in somebody's life.

So please use it for the good because you just never know how much you could seriously help somebody."