Mar 14, 2018

ME | Going On-Air on GIANT FM for a Classic Clips Challenge

Did you hear me on the radio Wed. Mar. 14 around 1:25 pm?

I was on classic rock station 91.7 GIANT FM. 

GIANT FM is currently running a contest called Classic Clips Challenge. Unlike most contests, this time it's the station that calls the listener at set times throughout the day.

To enter the contest (like I had) you gave them your name and number and which time slot and day you would like them to call you.

You get $91 just for answering the phone! Then they play 3 clips from classic rock songs. If you can tell them the 3 artists that sang those songs, you're entered in a draw to win a truck.

I like listening to DJ Kristy Knight (or "KK" as she goes by) between 9 am and 2 pm. They play the contest at 1:15, so when I entered I said Wednesdays at 1:15 would be a good time to call me.

And Wednesday shortly after 1:15 pm, that's exactly what she did!

My caller I.D. didn't have a name but under the phone number it said Welland, ON, which is where the station is located. There was little doubt, it was KK calling and I answered the phone.

We talked a few seconds before going on air, then we went live. KK said my name and we exchanged a little banter. She mentioned that won $91, "just in time for St. Patrick's Day".

Then they played the 3 song clips. I knew who sang the first and third songs, but drew a blank on the second song, so (sigh) my name didn't get entered for the truck.

But I had 91 more dollars than I had a few minutes ago and all I had to do was talk on the phone for a few minutes and I got to be on the radio with one of my favourite DJ's.

It was a pretty awesome experience.