Sep 26, 2013

In Memoriam

As we acknowledge that it was 2 years ago that we said goodbye to Vivian Campbell, Scribbles reprints our tribute to her, written in 2011.
 
Wife, Mother, Grandmother, Friend and Neighbour.......Vivian Campbell was the Best of Each

My mother would probably be able to tell you the exact date, but to the best of my recollection, it was probably about 40 years ago that my family moved to Rebecca Street in St Catharines. Living next door to us were the Campbells. There was Lorne, his wife Vivian and their kids Kenzie, Karin, Kelly and Kirby. I became friends with the "Campbell Kids", was in the same grade as Kelly and buddies with Kirby.

Because I hung out with Kirby (and our "entourage"), I was at the Campbell's home a lot in those days and it was then that I would first meet Vivian Campbell. "Mrs Campbell" as I always addressed her as back then, was such a nice lady. Someone I always thought of as being very strong and level-headed. 

Throughout the years there would be many changes at those neighbouring homes on Rebecca Street. Both my parents and Lorne and Vivian would watch as their children would eventually each leave the nest and start families of their own. The Campbell's mourned the passing of eldest son Kenzie, who left us far too young. As the years rolled on, both my mom and Mrs Campbell would become widows, with the passing of Lorne and my dad Don.

My mom and Vivian were always the best of neighbours. They'd check the mail for each other when one of them was away and in recent years, Vivian and I shared cat-feeding duty when my mom went on vacations. I visited my mom frequently and it was not unusual to see Vivian and exchange greetings.

Sadly that would change, as Vivian began her battle with cancer. Soon, instead of seeing Vivian out and about when I'd visit mom, I'd see various vehicles parked in her driveway belonging to caregivers and family.

Now even that has become history.

Although Kirby, Kelly, Karin and I all went our own ways over the years and lost touch, I'd sometimes see Kirby when he was visiting his mom and reconnected with Karin and Kelly thanks to facebook. To each of you I offer my sincerest sympathy. Your mother was a wonderful person, just like your dad and she will be dearly missed.

Vivian Campbell    Feb. 22, 1933 - Sept. 28, 2011

Written in 2011 by Scribbles