Jul 19, 2016

REVIEW | Guns n' Roses 'Lifetime' Tour Rolls into Toronto & Blows Fans Away

PAST SHOWS

Sat. July 16th marked my third time enjoying a concert by Guns n’ Roses. Each time I have seen them, my pal Becky Lee has been there (in fact without her, I would have probably seen the band exactly zero times, so thanks Beck!) 

Each show has been memorable for several reasons. For my first time seeing GnR (in 1993) I’ll never forget seeing Axl & Slash give it their all for hits like ‘November Rain’ nor shall I forget the very long ride home which was filled with a dead car battery, fear, fibs and an all night convenience store. Good times!

My second time around in 2011, the show was at the same place in Hamilton as the first show and although that part was the same, the band’s lineup was not.  With Slash and other originals out, it was Axl and his new guys and we had extremely good seats.

THIS CONCERT

This time around was big. First and foremost, it was big because the original GnR lineup were performing, meaning we’d once again get to hear Slash’s wicked guitar riffs compliment Axl’s piano and vocals. It was also big because the venue took place at Roger’s Centre which holds thousands of loud and happy fans.

I had told Becky I was looking for a black rubber GnR bracelet as a souvenir of the show. Neither of us had seen these at past concerts, so it felt like wishful thinking. But at one of the vendors lo and behold, there were rubber bracelets with GUNS N ROSES written on them. $5....Sold!  I was a happy camper. Becky seemed shocked...I don’t know if it was because there really were rubber bracelets or because I wanted to wear the bracelet so badly.

The GnR ‘Not in this Lifetime’ tour combined many of the groups mega hits with some cover songs for a show that lasted 2 hours and 40 minutes (making us feel we got our money’s worth, even if we weren’t close to the stage) But it’s not about the seats, it’s about being in the same room, breathing in the same air as GnR, that’s my motto.

Two mammoth screens flanked either side of the stage giving you a close up of what the little specks on stage were actually doing. LOL

GOING HOME

Instead of getting stuck in traffic, Becky drove to Burlington, where we switched to Go Train into Toronto. It was a good plan going there but because we did not want to miss the last Go Train back, we skipped out on the last two songs.

We were not alone, many people were rushing to get to the Go Train. Once on the train, our “Ambassador” Howard informed us the train would be leaving later so they could get as many concert goers home as possible.  “Later” would be about 45 minutes later. 

It was about 3 am when Becky was dropping me off at my place and my body was sore to the max. But it was all worth it.


I had shared oxygen with GnR, I was now in pain, but I shared oxygen with GnFnR!  And that’s all that mattered.  

CONCERT PHOTOS



GUNS N’ROSES ‘NOT IN THIS LIFETIME’ SONG LIST

It’s So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Chinese Democracy
Welcome to the Jungle
Double Talkin’ Jive
Estranged
Live and Let Die
Rocket Queen
You Could Be Mine
You Can’t Put Your Arms Around A Memory/Attitude
This I Love
Civil War
Coma
Band intros into Slash solo – Speak Softly Love (Love Theme From The Godfather)
Sweet Child O’ Mine
Sorry
Better
Out Ta Get Me
Jam (Wish You Were Here/Layla)
November Rain
Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door
Nightrain
Encore:
Jam/Patience
The Seeker
Paradise City