Mar 3, 2019

ME | Enjoying the Oscars in a Special Way

What was my favourite thing about this year's Academy Awards ceremony? Queen with Adam Lambert commencing the show with 'We Will Rock You'? Olivia Colman's hilarious acceptance speech? Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper's intimate rendition of 'Shallow' from 'A Star is Born'? Rami Malek winning another best actor award for his portrayal of Freddie Mercury on 'Bohemian Rhapsody'? Nope. Those were all fantastic, but there was something else that made the 91st Academy Awards special to me.

Since my new TV antenna doesn't pick up the stations that aired the awards, I watched the show at my mom's place. Planned several weeks earlier, I had a sleepover at mom's on Oscars night and it turned out to be as much fun - or more - than the awards themselves.

While the stars dined on fine cuisine and donned their best attire, we had various munchies and wore our finest pajamas. Much of my amusement came from filling mom in on who was who and what each movie was about (I had seen all 8 best picture nominees and a handful of other films up for awards).

My favourite was Bohemian Rhapsody....mom had trouble remembering Queen's lead vocalist's name. He was all sorts of names, including Freddie Murphy. To help mom out, I referenced the newpaper in her hometown of Renfrew.... "It's the same as the newspaper mom, Renfrew Mercury, Bohemian Rhapsody is the story of Queen singer Freddie Mercury" I think she's got it now.

The next morning, mom said she really liked the Academy Awards this year and that it would not have been as enjoyable if she has watched it alone. I have to agree. The times I have enjoyed the Oscars most were when I was watching with others. When I was employed as a bartender, the places I worked often made a theme night out of Oscars night. When I lived on Capner Street (several decades ago) I hosted an Oscars Party, which was well-received. Now I can add my private party of two with my mother to that memorable list. And we have made a date to do it again next year :)