Jun 30, 2012

Everything's Coming Up Roses
I'd heard of it, yet never been to Welland's Rose Parade and since I will soon call that city home, I thought it was only right that I join Rob and his family for the annual festivities. Although rain was in the forecast, Mother Nature cut us a break with nothing but brilliant sunshine throughout the 90 plus minute parade that drew record crowds.

Rob's sister lives a stones through away from one of the streets along the parade route, meaning we all had a great spot to watch from.  There were less floats and more bands than previous years due to a drop in participants, something organizers blame on a faltering economy and a lack of volunteers.


Following the parade, Rob's family on his mother's side held their second annual reunion (photo above), where everyone stuffed themselves on BBQ burgers, hot dogs, salads and homemade desserts.

Here's a video clip I put together of the Rose Parade. My sister-in-law Heather Dennis admitted to being less than enthusiastic about the lengthy parade (which not unlike St Catharines Wine Festival Parade apparently doesn't change much from year to year). Heather you will be very happy to know that I was able to achieve my goal of condensing the parade to a lean, mean 4 1/2 minutes...LMAO!