Mar 1, 2012

'Daydream Believer' Davy Jones Passes Away

Best known as the cute one from the TV show The Monkees, singer and actor Davy Jones died February 29th after suffering a massive heart attack at his home in West Palm Beach, Florida.

Davy was one of four groovy young stars of The Monkees - a campy Saturday morning sitcom revolving around the fictious band's crazy antics. The show's success soon brought the boys together  as an actual group, and although rumours swoared that they didn't play their own instruments, the Monkees went on to sell many albums with chart-topping singles such as "I'm a Believer", "Last Train to Clarksville", "Stepping Stone" and "Daydream Believer". 

The Monkees TV show quickly became a cult classic and still plays in syndication across the globe. The band The Monkees parted company in the early 70's and throughout the years Davy Jones would reunite periodically with band mates Peter Tork, Mickey Dolenz and Michael Nesmith.

Born in Manchester, England, one of Jones first acting roles was as the Artful Dodger in the hit play Oliver.

Following the success of The Monkees, Davy became a teen heartthrob and in his later years appeared on the British. soap opera Coronation Street. Davy is survived by his wife Jessica. He was 66.


"Daydream Believer" by The Monkees
 featuring Davy Jones on lead vocals...

 

Your Comments on Davy Jones and The Monkees...

"Wow i loved the Monkees back in my days... i had just their records i use to play on my little record player..the kind that closes up like a carrying case....in my bedroom...yes Davy Jones..my sweetie :)"

-Merry Proulx


"Davy Jones was so cute and usually the most level-headed of the frantic four. I loved when he made a cameo appearance on The Brady Bunch, after Marsha had a massive crush on him (like we all did). I can't believe he is gone and at only 66 years of age"

-Ken Leavoy 

 "Ahhhh, he was my favourite Monkee"

-Tammie Holditch


"I loved the antics of the Monkees and loved to watch their show. So young, though. He will be missed."

-Bob Miller 


"They used to perform this song on their show, I liked when they ran around and clowned around in their videos. I remember telling my friend that if Davy and I were dating I would break up with him because of his terrible dancing -esp. in this video. Mickey got my vote for cuteness in this one...but, Davy was still my favourite. I miss Tiger Beat :("

-Nancy Erskine

[Editor's note: I think Tiger Beat is still around Nancy, ask Justin Bieber, he'll know for sure]


"I lov Davy...R.I.P.

-Jacqueline Gariepy


"I know Ken, I heard so said so young' I believe he was 60 something, I loved the Monkees kind of like almost like the Beatles, they sure don't make a big deal about it like when Michael Jackson or when Whitney passes away you hear it every day, oh well .. Day Dream Believer will be number 1 for me : )"

-Sandra Burger-Vedder