May 18, 2013

Inspiration

Strengthening My Resolve
By Joan Wiley

"This is one of the reasons why I observe the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia,...

Last year, at a ceremony to raise the rainbow flag at city hall, a man approached me in a menacing way. I was carrying a little rainbow flag, and my straw hat was festooned with plastic rainbow flowers. The sign that the man carried said "No homos."

He took one look at my appearance and said. "Huh. Another effin' fag." (Only he used the f-bomb.) "I'd like to take that effin' flag and shove it down your effin' throat!"

For the first time, I understood from an emotional level (outright fear) what it means to be targeted because one is perceived to be part of a community that is not always accepted.

I thought of high school kids who hear words like this every day when they walk down the hallways. I thought of my older friends who heard words like these before boots met flesh and bone. And it strengthened my resolve, as a straight cisgender woman, to support the LGBTQ community in any way I can."

Scribbles Responds to Joan's Message:

Joan I am not sure if I have ever told you before, but you are an "effin" amazing woman.

Your support towards the LGBT community and your tireless efforts working with PFLAG Niagara are a shining example of what a real superhero is all about. 

I remember meeting you at a Pride event several years ago and being in awe of you. You are the mother so many in the LGBT community dream they had and in some ways you act as that loving, compassionate mom to us all.

If ever they were looking to clone the world's finest, you would surely be at the top of that short list. You face obstacles with a courage and openness many of us only wish we had. You do so with modesty and a sense of humour and it fills my heart with joy to consider you amongst my friends.

May improved health and continued happiness to be with you always and know that I -like so many others- stand with you, as you have so selflessly and graciously done for us.  

No comments: