Dec 28, 2013

Christmas Editorial



Dear Scribbles Family:

Another year is quickly drawing to a close and the holiday season is upon us.

For many of our friends in Scribbles land, Christmas is a joyous event, filled with family, friends, feasts, presents and parties. To others it is a spiritual time as they remember to put “Christ” back into Christmas. Some find this a perfect time to reflect upon the year that has just past –something Scribbles plans to do in great detail in the weeks ahead.

Not to sound like the Grinch who stole Christmas, but I feel it is important to also remember that this can be a most stressful and depressing time of the year for many, something that is often foreshadowed by all that is “good” about the season.

Yet for many, Christmas acts as a vivid reminder of loved ones who are no longer with them, no longer there to unwrap that special gift, sit with by a comfortable fire or ring in the new year. Others find themselves struggling to make ends meet while still trying to fulfill the role of playing Santa for family and friends. And there are even those who feel they have no one to share the holidays with, constantly reminded of their lone status by the bombardment of holiday specials and oh-so-happy commercial jingles.

Oddly enough, I have found myself in all of the above positions in Christmas’ past.

I’ve had those that have found me celebrating non-stop, scarcely finding the time to be with all the people, places and parties I was invited to. I’ve had times when elaborate gifts were given because there was extra money that year. I’ve enjoyed the warm and fuzzy feeling of celebrating a “first” Christmas with a new love and have been around to witness the big bright eyes of youngsters as they see what Santa has left for them.

On the flip side of the coin, I have felt the sadness of living through the first Christmas without a cherished loved one, who crossed over within the last year. I’ve felt the emptiness of waking up alone and single on Christmas day. I have known what it is like to stress over how I would be able to get gifts when there was not even enough money to cover my living expenses.

Yes, when it comes to Christmas, I (like many of you) have experienced many different types. From the ones I wished would never end to those that just couldn’t be over quickly enough.

The funny thing about Christmas is that one really never knows what each one will be like. One year we may be happier than a pig in shit and a year later find ourselves simply covered in shit. Or just the opposite may ring true. This Christmas might suck royally, but next year at this time we may find ourselves feeling more joy than seems physically possible.

We should never take any type of Christmas too seriously, nor should we try to make it something it is not. Every new year holds a guarantee of change, be it conceived as good or otherwise.  And each Christmas will find us in a different “place”.

Treasure each of them, even the ones that seem hopeless, for none of them are forever and each has a purpose. Seek happiness in life’s simple pleasures and even the cloudiest of days will come with a fleeting ray of sunshine.

I was going to mention many of you personally in this message, but let’s face it, you’d still be reading it next December at this time, had I attempted that. I will elaborate more in my review of 2013 in the weeks ahead, at which time shout outs will be in order for many of you and all that you have done for me.  

This year, no matter where you find yourself on the Christmas roller coaster, be it the highest, exciting peaks or the sudden, frightening lows, know that there will always be secure seat for each of you in Scribbles, my life and in my heart.

Merry Christmas to my very special “family”.


With Much Love,
Kenny

7 comments:

Island Chef said...

Hey Ken, wishing you a great holiday spending times with family & friends, timi & your new addition jj. Happy holidays to all your scribbles friends as well. Myself have lost the holiday spirit as my career and living offshore all these years I wasn't able to be near family. It was just another day. Have a good one
Clay... Hugs

Anonymous said...

Beautiful message, right from the heart. Wishing you & your furry buddies a great Christmas...

Bobby Rock via facebook said...

Great post Ken! Merry Christmas! All the best to you!

Jane Storie -via facebook said...

Excellent editorial, bro Love you

rene said...

so true ken, and very well written! Merry Christmas to you, Timmi & JJ! with lots of love from LA, CA, USA!!! <3

┈╱╲┈┈┈╱╲┈┈┈╱╲┈┈
╱╯╰╲┈┈╳╳┈┈╱╯╰╲┈
╯╯╰╰╲╱╮╰╲╱╯╯╰╰╲
╯╯╰╰╱╰╯╭╮╲╯╯╰╰╰
╯╯╰╱╯╭╮╰╯╭╲╯╰╰╰
▔▋╱╭╮╰╯╭╮╰╯╲▋▔▔
┈╱╮╰╯╭╮╰╯╭╮╰╲┈┈
┈▔▔▔▔▔▔▋▔▔▔▔▔┈┈

Unknown said...

How beautiful...
you, my friend are a beautiful man and I am thrilled that you are my friend...
Love you xJo

Joanne Kildow -via facebook said...

Finally had a chance to read your editorial.....and as usual, eloquentely said! You are so right! Every Christmas is different and one shouldn't take too seriously because the new year ahead always promises to be different is unknown ways.