Feb 8, 2014

Me

Movin' On Down

The rumours are true, I will be moving back to St. Catharines at the end of March. The building I will be living in has only 3 units (one per floor) and I will occupy the lower unit (not quite a basement, but it is a few steps down from ground level.)

I have my dear friend Shelley Stewart and her connection with co-op housing for helping set me up with the place.

Prior to seeing the place in person, I went on Google Earth to see the street view of where I will be moving and I was a bit surprised. From the front, the building is somewhat dull. But as we have been told, time and time again, one should never judge a book by its cover.

SHELLEY STEWART
The following day I met Ian the property manager, who gave me a complete tour of the unit, which is already vacant. The place has tons of windows and was very bright and cheery. In addition to the main bedroom, there is also a "half bedroom" which looks like a great place to put my desk and potted plants, so 50% office, 50% sun room and 100% awesome. 

I have a door at the main entrance in front of the building and a back door which leads out to a small back yard and will be perfect for Timmi.

The rent is quite reasonable but I do have to pay my own hydro bill, so I guess it's time to be a little more aware of what's turned on and what should be turned off.

There are a few things about this move that I am sad about.  I really do like my current apartment and I am truly going to miss it, the neighbours and some of the parks and places I like to go in Welland.

I use an indoor antenna for my TV, which currently sits on my third floor window, facing Buffalo and receiving many great channels. The new place is ground level, further away from Buffalo and the living room windows face North. What's that all mean?  It is very likely that my antenna will be useless at the new place, but with windows on all sides, I will be moving the antenna from room to room and seeing if there is a spot where I can pick up the most stations.

Of course what I will miss most about my Welland apartment is having my ex Rob close by. We are now good friends and see each other frequently since he is in the apartment on the other side of my bedroom wall and this is something that is really going to be difficult to adjust to.

But everything changes and it is essential that I return to St. Catharines where all my doctors, therapist and family are. Once I am settled in. I am hopeful I will feel happy with the big move.

Here's a glimpse of the layout for my future home.  Definitely has lots of windows and on all 4 sides of the building, that's a new one for me!