Dec 31, 2014

PETS | Sick Kitty

As suspected, JJ (seen here after arriving home from the vet's today) had some crystals in his urine, on the plus side, he was not blocked. He was given a shot of Convenia and a weeks supply of a pill called Teva-Prazosin (to be given twice a day)

Prior to today JJ was fed one serving of canned cat food and 3 servings of IAMS Dry food daily. Now he is to eat canned food, available only at the vet's and coming in at almost $50 for 24 cans.

Even with the treatment, the pills and new food, there is no guarantee that he won't get this again or if this will even fix the problem he is having right now.

Something tells me JJ is going to be a STK. What is a STK you ask? A term I created this morning while waiting in the examining room with the patient. STK stands for "Short Term Kitty".

Before you jump all over me for projecting negative thoughts, therefore causing negative things to happen, I look at it as being realistic. The second day after adopting JJ, I found myself holding this 2 lb nothing ball of fur in my hands wondering if he would live, as he was very sick. Now at just over a year old, he starts developing crystals and it is costly. .

This would be a good time for someone to throw out there...."Then why did you get this cat?"

My answer is always the same "Because he saved me from doing something brutal", as in....well, on a day when taking my life sounded like a good plan, I instead came home with a new little life to care for.

Even if he ends up being a STK, JJ paid his dues in full the very second I met him.

But here's hoping JJ turns out to be like my old cat Emerson, who had similar problems which thankfully never returned, in part to another early detection and treatment.

Thanks for all your support with this.

DEC. 31
UPDATE: 
JJ's meds and new food are helping greatly. He is peeing better (not quite the quantity it should be yet, but definitely better). Plus, he hasn't been repeatedly going back into the littler box trying to pee more.  

No comments: