Dec 24, 2014

YEAR-END EDITORIAL | Another One Bites the Dust


Hello Friends:

As I sit here looking at this blank page, I find myself asking “Didn’t I just write my holiday message a few months ago? How is it possible that another year has past?”

Whether I believe it or not, the reality is that 2014 is indeed coming to an end very soon and as I ponder the events of the past 12 months, I have to say, maybe that’s for the best.

For on both a personal and global level, there have been many things that occurred this year which found me slack-jawed, staring in disbelief, or crying over yet another change or loss.

Senseless deaths dominated the headlines, with brutal acts of terror occurring around the world and even in “our own backyard” with soldiers and police gunned down on Canadian soil. “This is Canada, those kinds of things don’t happen here”, sadly no longer rings true.

We lost Robin Williams, who was legendary for making us laugh out loud, but could not do the same within himself.  It still seems surreal that he is gone and by his own doing, when it appeared he had so much to live for.

What should have been a routine surgery, unexpectedly took the life of comedian Joan Rivers, who I’m sure walked right up to St. Peter at the Pearly Gates, somewhat pissed off that she had arrived there and asked “Can we talk?”

We said goodbye to my aunt, Connie Farquharson, a remarkable woman whose influence and presence continue to be a part of Scribbles.

I, the guy who requires sedation and a support team whenever I relocate, found myself moving not once, but twice, with my stay at one place lasting a mere 2 months (the banging and tapping sounds just made it seem longer.)

And as usual, I continued coping with chronic pain, depression and anxiety, all of which have had their share of outstanding moments.

“Gee, was the entire year all gloom and doom Ken?”

Of course it wasn’t. 

For the more horrible and unbelievable all the “bad stuff” seemed to be, the more amazing and touching all the “good stuff” was.

I have always been thankful for the great number of close friends in my life. This year my friends were there for me so many times. I shudder to think where I would be without your support and if my back was in better shape, I’d bow in front of you, lifting my arms up & down, while chanting “I’m not worthy, I’m not worthy”.

You obviously thought otherwise as you helped me out time and time and time again, in ways that still amaze me and blow my mind.  What did I do to deserve such kind, caring friends? I truly don’t know, but I appreciate it more than I could ever put into words....and for someone who is usually long-winded, that’s actually really saying a lot!

There are many of you whose holidays will be quite different this year, some in good ways, others not-so-good.  My wish is that each and every one of you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, no matter where this season finds you.

This chapter in our lives known as 2014 will soon be over. 2015 is eagerly waiting around the bend, sure to be filled with more highs and lows, laughter and tears.

Here’s to us continuing to ride through it together.

Happy Holidays,

Ken Leavoy
Editor  

No comments: