Mar 17, 2015

| YOU | St. Patrick's Parade in Douglas


The town of Douglas has once again exploded to life with their annual St.Patrick's Day celebrations. One of the highlights is the grande parade. Each year my cousin Cathy's husband Ernie Dick -owner/operator of the highly-successful 'Central Stone', participates in the parade. Their float has grown since past parades, as we see in these awesome photos from the facebook pages of Cathy, Erin, Janet and the rest of the gang who truly know how to enjoy St. Patrick's Day.

I once experienced a part of Douglas' St. Patrick's shenanigans. It was late night at a bar, so there was no parade or kids around and it was pretty rowdy.  There were various bands throughout the night and some did songs that were singalongs.  One song was about a farmer and his hardships.  And whatever the band sang, the room would repeat.  At one point the band sang "And the farmer got a rooster, But the rooster turned gay!" to which the room repeated the lyrics. Feeling no pain at the time thanks to my green beers, When the room finished singing I threw my arms up in the air and exclaimed "Go Rooster, Go Rooster!"  My cousins and their friends nearly pissed themselves and most of the crowd was cool with my outburst (and the big guys we were there with kept us feeling safe too)

Happy St Patrick's Day Douglas Ontario. You sure do it up right.




Well, it's like this. Cathy Dick is my cousin. Her mom was my mom's sister. Cathy married Ernie. They have three daughters and their daughters have partners and kids. So we are all related. My cousin Bob's son Brandon and others are also seen in the photos above, joining in on the festivities this year.


No comments: