Jun 24, 2013

You



"My Epic Comic Con Weekend!"

For months [my friend Melisa Sider and I] were anticipating this one weekend, where we could throw away our cares and dress up and have some fun!

No I am not talking about Halloween I am talking of course about the Niagara Falls Comic Con and this year we were doing cosplay (Costume play).

For those of you not familiar with what a Comic Con is let me educate you a little on the matter, A Comic Con which stands for Comic Convention is usually a gathering of Comic book stores from or just outside the region,Vendors selling such wares as Art, collectible Figurines, jewelry and other items which are handmade and usually fall into the genre of sci-fi or shows and movies with a cult following also various celebrity guests who will sign an autograph or take a photo for a fee are often there as well.

My personal experience was amazing, ...I got my dress and crinoline (note to anyone: Never wear a crinoline if you can help it, it was hot and annoying) after that I did my hair which was an easy task seeing as how I have a natural flip to the back of my hair and the character I was cosplaying does too! Makeup and crown on and voila I was Princess Daisy from Mario brothers and I looked awesome!

Melisa and I looked adorable and got many looks as we exited the car with pointing and smiling, we waited in line a short while and we were in.

I got to get my picture with Star Wars guys like Boba Fett and Darth Vader (not the actors they wanted too much money, but some other cosplayers like ourselves with awesome outfits).

I met Paul Jones who is Special Effects God...he has done so many movies that I love including Bride of Chucky and the Silent Hill films and recently he worked on my favorite TV show Warehouse 13. He was super nice and chatted with me about his work, he was so humble it was amazing.

There was so much to look at and we spend hours drifting around and checking out the displays and artists.  Melisa and I entered the costume contest and to make a long story short, we did not get to perform our skit nor did we find out if we even qualified as it was not organized very well.

We went back Sunday expecting to find out the results only to find out they had been decided Saturday...after we went up on stage and showed off our look, we went for lunch so we missed them naming the winners...so we were upset about that!


But the positives outweighed that negative experience, we met so many great people, like Doctar St EVIL and Roxy Dark knight the cross dressing cosplayer. Check Her/Him out on facebook, he/she is an amazing person and a lot of fun to talk to!

We met some cosplayers from Toronto who do incredible jobs on their outfits and characters! Like Rogue and Gambit from the Toronto X-men who were easy going and super nice! No matter how good or bad your costume was (and there were some bad ones) No one really judged you on that, they said awesome effort and asked for a picture, it made you feel great! 

I think the best part of the whole weekend was all the little girls who came up and asked up for pictures with the Princesses, that made my day!

I am super excited for next year's Comic Con.and hope to see the new friends I made at this one.

by Tammie Holditch (Princess Daisy)

No comments: