Jan 16, 2013


This fast-paced video could be described as a testimonial of all the reasons we love Scribbles.

From babies to birthdays, comedy to contests, Pride to pets, holidays to happy couples, this video -not unlike Scribbles itself -includes it all.

Putting it all together was no easy task, as you can read below. Fortunately for you, enjoying it is much easier. We suggest viewing it on full screen with your volume button high or headphones handy.

You won't want to blink, as you may miss a lot, but hopefully you will be compelled to watch it time and time again.

So sit back and prepare to see things as we do, in "The World According to Scribbles".



The Making of "The World..."

It is said that God created the world in seven days (or was that six with a day to rest?) Either way, it seemed to take almost as long for us to put together "The World According to Scribbles".

Just for shits and giggles, I decided to log the time it took to complete this clip. As with all our videos, it starts with a concept. The original idea for this one was to recap the photos and features we had posted on Scribbles in 2012.  Step one....find them all and save to a folder on my laptop. Thankfully this was accomplished easily enough by started with our most recent posts and backtracking using the "older posts" link at the bottom of each page until we ended up at January 2012.  Did you know you can do this too at any time and go back as far as you like...talk about an easy way to take a trip down memory lane.

Once the bulk of the photos and features were grouped and ready, the next big step was to find the appropriate music. This always seems to be the glue that bonds it all together and once I find the song I like, linking the visuals with the audio is pure bliss.

I decided upon the song Popcorn because of its upbeat rapid tempo. Usually if I don't already have the song I've decided upon in my music library, its merely a matter of downloading it from itunes. Imagine my surprise when I typed "Popcorn" into the search field, hit enter and discovered almost 500 versions of the popular tune were available to choose from!  I kid you not! Try it for yourself if you think I'm exaggerating. Intrigued by so many choices, I spent the next 2 1/2 hours previewing Popcorn until I narrowed it down to the one I thought best fit the layout for the video.

An important element to any video is to time the photos and video clips to the music. This is usually done through trial and error, but in this case I actually resorted to using a calculator to determine how long each photo should flash across the screen in order to keep beat with the music.  The average time was 0.20 seconds per pix.

I soon realized that in order to fill the entire length of the song, I would need to expand the idea of featuring only the photos and features of 2012 to include photos and features from the past as well. This meant more searching for pix, more editing and more time determining when and where each photo would get its 0.20 seconds of fame.

In the end, "The World According to Scribbles" runs for approximately 3 minutes and includes over 480 photos with a handful of video clips tossed in to keep you from taking a seizure....LOL!

And just how long did it take to complete this labour of love? Would you believe 18 hours!!! YES...18 hours to create a video clip that lasts for only 3 minutes....even my calculator didn't see that one coming.