Mar 27, 2014

Editorial

Saying Goodbye

This is it! Depending upon when you are reading this, I am either a few days away from moving, in transit or just settling in to my new home in St. Catharines...but at the time I am writing this, I have less than 4 days before the big move on Mar. 29th.

My checklist of things to do is getting slightly smaller as the stacks of packed boxes continues to grow larger, something that should find me feeling somewhat relieved, but [in true neurotic Kenny style] that's not quite the case.

I can't deny it will be nice to return to St. Catharines, the city I called home for over 40 years before moving to Welland in August 2012. And judging by your enthusiasm, this is something many of you are really looking forward to. It will be handy to be closer to my family, friends and medical professionals, particularly since my car is pretty old and could bite the dust at any time.

Still, there is a huge part of me that is going to miss Welland very VERY much. This is somewhat ironic considering I wasn't all that excited about moving here in the first place. But somehow, somewhere along the line, all that changed.

CLICK PIX TO VIEW LARGER VERSION
One of the main advantages of moving to Welland (aside from the more affordable rent) was that this is where my partner also lived.  Living here meant I would get to spend more time with him and his family and they all made me feel like one of the gang.

Sadly, things would change last Summer when - after 6 years together - Rob and I separated. Although it was initially awkward, Rob and I soon became the greatest of friends and even having him and his mother move to the apartment on the opposite side of my bedroom wall, didn't (for the most part) make me want to rush back to St. Catharines.

Instead, it was comforting to have Rob and Merry next door. We did all sorts of neighbourly things for each other, including them feeding me when they had cooked a bit extra for dinner, Rob helping me lift things up the stairwells and me being available on a moments notice to figure out something technical or rescue them from a bat which had somehow found its way into their place. LOL!

CLICK PIX TO VIEW LARGER VERSION
Being in a smaller apartment building than where I was before, meant I would get to know some of the neighbours quite well. I sure will miss "Old Man John", "Landlord John" and Mary, the lady who lived one floor below me. They all loved Timmi and each of them have told me they wished I weren't leaving.

Despite what I had been told by some people prior to moving, I quickly discovered that the city of Welland was no more or less scary than any other place in Niagara. In fact I became quite smitten with the "Rose City" and its many scenic places to spend some quality outdoor time.

Merritt Island proved to be a majestic place to visit and I swear there are towns smaller than the massive area that makes up Memorial Park (located mere minutes from my apartment) ...a huge favourite of both Timmi and myself.

Although Welland is about a third the size of St. Catharines, this simply meant I could run my errands and shop from one end of the city to the other in record time. Each December, I had a birds eye view from my balcony of where participants in the annual Santa Claus parade gathered to kick off each year's festive event.

Yes, there are many people, places and things in Welland that I am going to miss and although I am welcome to visit anytime, it won't be quite the same as being in the heart of it all.

I'm grateful for the many friends who have been instrumental in preparing to get me back to St. Catharines and look forward to spending more time with each of you again soon.

But a little part of me will always consider Welland my second home and I thank Rob, his family and everyone here for making me feel so welcome.

Kenny 

No comments: