Oct 3, 2010

 Ken's 3 Day Birthday Celebration  


Family Fun For My 50th

On my third and final day of "Fearless at Fifty" celebrations, I joined with my family at my mother's home, for our annual gathering. 

As with all the shindigs the past three days, the Big 5-0 was a major player when it came to decorations and birthday cards. Fortunately, all my family cards were light-hearted (like: "Life Begins at 40 so you're only 10 years old" or "In Giant Redwood years, you're only about 3 1/2").
We enjoyed a delicious ham dinner (with leftovers for me to take home) and a yummy birthday cake with candles that spelled out the words "OH NO THE BIG 5-0".

Top it off with gifts and merriment and it was the perfect finale to my birthday celebrations. What a great family I have.




Quacking Up at "The Duck"

For Day Two of my "Fearless at Fifty" celebration, I went to "The Duck" with Becky Lee , Susan Edwards and her pal Gail. It was Live Blues Saturday afternoon, two-time Juno winner Jack Dekeyzer was performing and the place was packed.

We met an array of revellers who seemed quite interested in us and a hot hunky guy - who gives hot stone massages - and followed me around like a puppy dog, much to the envy of the girls LMGAO. High adventures at the Duck -WOW what a wild birthday!



More About "The Duck"
info above from the Golden Phesant (aka "The Duck" website)

The Golden Pheasant Tavern – affectionately known as “The Duck” – is one of the few surviving hotels from yesteryear, when more than a dozen such establishments were located in St. Catharines , Ontario . Not only has the Golden Pheasant prevailed, it is one of the few taverns in the city to have operated almost continually from the time it was built in 1921.


Although not as large as some of the other now long gone Niagara Region hotels of the era, the Golden Pheasant has retained the rustic and hospitable 1950s charm instilled by the Castellan family, something that was retained when extensive renovations were done to the building in 1992, when a 480 sq. ft. addition was added to the building. A spacious outdoor patio followed in 2007.

Today, the Golden Pheasant is owned by Jack Kizera and his wife Holly. The now retired GM worker bought the establishment in 2005, fulfilling a lifelong dream. Although some renovations are on the schedule, Jack says he has not intention of changing the building’s character.

“I want it to remain the same as it is, a nice friendly atmosphere where people can enjoy great food and have the best live entertainment in the Niagara Region and work from there,” he said. “I want this to be the place that when somebody asks where they can catch a good band and grab a decent meal the answer they automatically receive is ‘The Duck’.”




No comments: