Aug 1, 2013

You

There's Something About Judy

When it comes to friends, there are some you meet and spend a lifetime with. There are others who you see plenty of for a specific time and then somehow drift apart. And then there are those who you might only have the pleasure of actually being with for a brief period, yet somehow no matter how many years pass or how far away they may now be, you feel just as close to them as ever.

Judy Quiring falls into the latter category. We have not seen each other for a few years now, yet somehow I feel like it was only yesterday that we sat in Starbucks, sipping over-priced premium coffees as I presented her with a prize she had won in a Scribbles contest. That would also be the time we would say our goodbyes, as Judy was soon moving to Ottawa.

Even more memorable than our tearful goodbye, was the unique way we first met. I had recently joined the staff of a local Rogers dealer and traveled to Mississauga in my old brown truck to attend a day of training.

Although I had left St Catharines bright and early, I arrived at the meeting 30 minutes late, thanks to a poor sense of direction. When I entered the conference room, the instructor motioned for me to come in.

There were several large round tables filled with participants and a few empty seats for me to choose from. I took a seat beside a tall, striking girl, just in time for the instructor to go from table to table, getting each person to introduce themselves, tell which city and store they worked at and a bit about their history with the company.

When he got to our table and it was my turn to speak, I said my name is Ken and I had been with the St Catharines dealership for only a few days. The girl beside me was next. She introduced herself then looked at me and smiled saying "Ken, I work at the same dealer as you, in their Fort Erie location and I was the person who called yesterday to welcome you to the company." I was both surprised and relieved. I could have selected one of many available seats, but somehow I choose the one next to Judy Q.

Throughout the day, during breaks and lunch, Judy and I got to know each other better and by the time the course wrapped up, it felt like we were old friends.  We shared another laugh when we went to the parking lot to go to our vehicles. In conversation, I had mentioned my old brown bomber to Judy and as we got closer, I pointed it out to her. Wouldn't you know it. Judy's sporty red car was parked right next to my truck. Destiny was making sure one way or another, we would meet on this memorable day.

During my stay with that company, I had the pleasure of working side-by-side with Judy on many occasions and believe me when I say, I learned from the best and grew closer to her each and every day.

In time, I would leave the company. Judy's relocation to Ottawa was short-lived when she and her husband divorced and Ms. Quiring moved to her hometown of Leamington.

A few years ago Judy met Dale Teigrob and cupid's arrow made a direct hit. Last Summer while attending a wedding Dale caught the bride's garter.  The photo which followed was, as they say, priceless.  A beaming Judy held the garter, while Dale had a comically perplexed look on his face.

And now there's another reason for our friends to smile....the happy couple recently announced their engagement, meaning wedding bells will soon ring for Judy and Dale.

Judy, I've told you in person and in facebook chats, so it's only fitting I share it with our entire Scribbles family..... I love you!  You are truly one of a kind and someone I've admired and looked up to since that fateful day I choose the empty seat beside you. 

Congratulations to you and Dale, and thanks for showing me that if you believe in your dreams, they really can come true.  [Insert a big cyber hug here]



No comments: