Feb 8, 2012


50's Style Birthday Bash

Although her birthday's Feb. 8th, we celebrated my mom's birthday a bit early this year and -as per usual- the party was held at my place. Each year I try to come up with a theme and this year I dusted off the groovy decorations from Rob's birthday last March and came up with Mom's Rock n' Roll Birthday Bash.

Decorations included a mini juke box, faux records (and some real ones), 50's wall decal posters, balloons, streamers and much more. To make it sound like the 50's and early 60's, a large selection of tunes from those decades played throughout the party.

Guests were encouraged to dress up like someone form thr 50's or 60's and some did. The Papple gang were all groovy hippies (and Patrick looked so much like a young John Lennon..."John who?")  As the host, I was obligated to dress up as well and took on the guise of a geek (which was somewhat like a flashback of my own childhood, minus the taunts from the kids at school.

I served mini subs (which I made myself) Kim brought an awesome (and delicious) "Rock n' Roll" birthday cake, Jane brought salad and Bob gave us a reason to pucker up, with a zingy pickle tray.

"Another big success" Bob commented to me, as everyone was leaving and I was indeed one happy little nerd.

Now how do I top this one next year around this time?? Hmmmm?


To Mom from Her Pesky Kid

I really love my mother,
And it surely makes me proud,
To know I’m one of her pesky kids,
And to sing her praises loud.

My mother has a birthday,
Almost every year,
And on that day she’ll ponder life,
And even shed a tear.

See, Ma don’t like her birthdays;
She says they make her old,
But she’s as sharp as she ever was,
If the truth be told.

My mother showed me lots of things,
About the world, you see,
So then I could teach my pesky kids,
The things my mom taught me

-Author Unknown




See why we kept telling my nephew Patrick that he reminded us of John Lennon, the day of my mom's Rock n' Roll Birthday?