Feb 12, 2012

Computer Hoax Revealed
by Glyn Whiteley | Fundy Web Hosting

"So I’m sitting watching TV when Angela hands me the phone. It’s a guy by the name of Max claiming to work at Microsoft. He informs me that my computer has been sending out reports saying that my computer is infected. Now I have herd this happen from people bringing their computer in to the store but this was first hand experience… so I thought I would play dumb and follow along and this is what happened:

First they tell you to press the windows key +R this will bring up the “Run Dialog Box” then they ask you to type EVENTVWR, this will bring up the Event Viewer for windows. They will tell you to look at the “Application Log” this will show you error’s and warnings in windows, most of this stuff is normal stuff and you don’t need to worry about.

He then told me to close this box and press the windows key +R again and type in www.teamviewer.com this will allow him to access my computer so he can fix it. (Team Viewer is a legitimate website)

At this point I had had enough, I informed MAX that I was a Microsoft Certified Professional and Microsoft does not contact their customers if they have spyware on their computer. I don’t think MAX could hang up the phone fast enough!

The Moral of the story: Microsoft will not call you directly if you have malware or a virus on your computer. Your Internet Provider will probably call you first. I just thought I would post my experience so no one else get’s caught with this."