Oct 2, 2014

EDITORIAL | Overkill, Quite Literally


I just watched Criminal Minds for the first time ever. (I know, it's been on for a long time and since I love Shemar Moore, you'd think I would already be a fan, but somehow I had never sat down and watched an entire episode.)

The season premiere came on right after The Mysteries of Laura (a new show thst I really like) so I figured I'd check Criminal Minds out.....

YEEEE-IIIPPPES! I won't go into detail, so I don't spoil it for you if you've yet to watch it, but for those of you who did catch it..... Is it usually that graphic and macabre? 

I found it very disturbing and hard to stomach, and the ending didn't exactly leave me feeling very warm and fuzzy either. 

It never ceases to amaze me how U.S. network TV remains fine with violence and shocking images, yet on shows like Survivor and The Amazing Race, continue to blur out bits, when a contestant's bathing suit or shorts may reveal a little butt crack during raucous competitions.

When I was able to access U.S. network Me TV, I watched a lot of the old detective and cop shows. Unlike many of today's popular crime series, they got their message across without all the gore and sensationalism. Don't we get enough blood and guts in reality, and on the news? 

With my anxiety and depression issues, maybe I'd be best to stick to something lighter, like Modern Family on Wednesday nights, no matter how hot Shemar Moore is.

~Ken Leavoy

No comments: